Monday, February 11, 2013

Book Review Monday: "The Arte of Glamour"

Well, it's my day off, and thus I figured I should blog about something or other. Got to keep getting up on that horse! Not sure if the horse is the Internet, or blogging, or you guys. Either way, I am on it!

But what to write about? Man.. I don't even know. What's that Internet? You want me to review Deb's book? Well, if you insist. I am such a soft touch for all of you.

First, I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy as she is.. you know.. my wife. For those of you not lucky enough to be married to the author, I suggest you head to Amazon, and pick up a copy so you can follow along.

Now I will say this off the bat, if you have been reading Deb's blog for any length of time, the book will be both completely expected, and completely unexpected. The expected is the candor, flow, and accessibility of the work. The unexpected is a small glimpse into the heavy hitter aspect of the magical work.

The discussions of Glamour, and the self work associated with it sets the tone of the book. It is a tone of honest respect. We dress well, we act well, we show respect, not because we are being forced to by nasty demanding society, but because dressing well, eating well, and being witty and Charming shows respect for our bodies, our minds, and our whole selves.

The section on manners and etiquette teach the important lesson of proper respect for others as a gift you give them, not as something that is capitulated because you are oh so much less than those to whom you show respect.

These two bits of the book can equally be applied in both magical and non magical settings. This is is a whole life kind of book. Not just a book for a richly draped magical sanctum.

Speaking of magical sanctums: "The Arte of Glamour" isn't just "Deb's guide to unfucking your life from the outside in". There are common sense ritual protocols, and format, as well as a wonderful section on some Very Helpful Ladies who you may like to invite over for tea, or Saint Germain.. whichever.

I've personally tried the format, and worked with some of the Ladies in question. It's all good stuff. Deb is very upfront about introductions and descriptions, and provides Titles and Glyphs for each. A book of Spirits of Arte. Arte in the truest sense of a thing done to its exaltation. It's a modern Grimiore in modern parlance with modern references. To me, that is invaluable.

There is also an effective spellbook of tricks to use for various and sundry purposes all related to Glamour and getting more of what you want out of life. I've seen them work. 'Nuff said.

All in all it is a solid book filled with good advice, and it is honestly really interesting. There are few things worse than a book that has good stuff in it, but is too dry or dull to get through. This is a book full of good stuff, that is actually engaging, and what's more it makes you want to engage in your life in a more fulfilling way.




1 comment:

Gordon said...

"if you have been reading Deb's blog for any length of time, the book will be both completely expected, and completely unexpected. The expected is the candor, flow, and accessibility of the work. The unexpected is a small glimpse into the heavy hitter aspect of the magical work."

I wish I had thought of saying this in my Amazon review. That's it exactly.