Friday, October 21, 2011

A lil more on Saturn

Jack and The Unlikely Mage continued the discussion in neat and interesting ways, but I just wanted to say one more thing about working with Saturn:

When working with Saturn you have to commit. It is going to be uncomfortable, and you need to know that going in. You must not deflect or avoid. If you are not prepared for the discomfort, do not do that thing.

Example: I often deflect with "humor". I use the term loosely, as it is often some of the most horrid, bleak, and unnerving shit you will hear in your life. Oh, you might laugh, but afterwards you'll feel a touch dirtier, and wonder if perhaps I have some sort of collection of human faces at home. Trust me.

The jokes I was cracking at my father's funeral were.. inappropriate to say the least. I blame half the inappropriateness of my own near death experience as a child with the constant stream of morphine the hospital had me on afterward. I still fall in to this trap from time to time.

If you are going to call on Saturn for some constructive destruction, you have to soak in it, and allow the putrefaction to take place. You have to stay there till you are done. Like fermenting booze or baking a cake. If you start the process, you need to finish it. Doing it half way only gets you a gross, half finished mess.

If you stick it out to the end, you'll get something akin to spiritual compost. A ground totally fertile and capable of growing magnificent things. 

2 comments:

Frater A.I.T. said...

Excellent post brother, and so true!

You just can't go half-ass with Saturn. Leads to nothing but regrets, and folk und up stuck in the putrefaction process without moving into the Whitening that comes with further work.

Well said!

The Unlikely Mage said...

Having made both compost and beer in my time, that brings up interesting new images about it. Thanks for the metaphors!