Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On the Sillyness of Constant Maintanence

During the brief time off that I was privileged enough to have, I realized something. I spend a lot of time sharpening my tools.. and significantly less time using them. The reason to keep them sharp is so that they work right when you need them, but of late I've been treating preparation and care as if it were my full time job, instead of the stuff I am actually preparing to, you know.. DO.

A common dream I would have as a child and adolescent was that there was a war going on, and I was going to fight in it.. but first I had to prepare. So I would. I would gather weapons and training and essentially stat max my dream self to a point where by the time I was "ready" the war was over and I was irrelevant. I'd missed the whole damn thing.

Now, I am not saying I am going to raise a terrible army of deadites to do my bidding, but I have noticed a painful lack of big magic KAPOW! in my life. It makes me antsy, and irritable. I derive a perverse pleasure from meddling, which, by the way, is the preferred pass time of wandering adventurers, and teenagers with vans everywhere. Sadly, it is also, generally, the preferred pass time of white men with guns who go to countries full of not white people who do not have guns.

The last bit of super serious Magic I did was for a pretty darn successful employment spell at the beginning of the year. And.. honestly that wasn't even that big.. really.. Success can make us soft, and I feel myself being squishier. Gotta change that!

So. Now I need a goal, a plan and then a triumphant success! I will keep you all posted.

1 comment:

Pallas Renatus said...

Oh lord, now I have an image of a spirit in R.O.'s pot muttering "And I'd have been resting in peace, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!".

Do let us know how the triumphant success turns out.