Monday, November 1, 2010

On the Big J.C.. and folks like Him.

Jason and Balthazar both have posted neato posts on working with Jesus from a magical stand point. I am slowly comming around, though I am not there yet. One thing that I will say for Jesus, and folks like Him.. Mary, The Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, Mahasiddhas, Al Khidir, etc. is that generally, they don't care who you are. At all.

Some Saints may perhaps be hesitant to answer a Pagan's prayer, though more often it's that Pagans don't especially feel comfortable working with them, but Jesus and Mary both do not really care that you are Pagan.. or Jewish.. or whatever. They just want you to be happy and well taken care of. In keeping with the party line, most folks who have reached that level of apotheosis/Buddhahood/Immortality don't see the hard religious/belief based lines that we do, but they will communicate through them so that we have a context into what they want us to know.

It is always good to remember that there are Beings out there that care about us.. just because. No strings. I am slowly comming to my own thoughts on Jesus as man, magician, God, Logos, etc., but no matter what I think about Him, I've never really doubted that I am cared about, really genuinely Loved, unconditionally.

That said, I've never worked with Jesus in a magical context, though there is a tremendous amount of precident both from Catholic Folk practices, Hoodoo, and the Grimioric tradition. His name was used because it works, and because He responds to it regularly with help.

To close, a link to one of my favorite little booklets from my churchier days: "The Wonders of the Holy Name"

3 comments:

Miss Sugar said...

I have to be honest, I'd feel super weird about the big J.C. on our altar. Mary has been goddess-fied by Reclaiming so She's not . . .weird to me.

I think it's like, Mary was a person, JC is part of God, my mom wants me to follow JC and CATHOLIC GOD and having Him on our altar is like having my mom's hot breath on my neck in our house all the time.

No thanks!

Jow said...

Which is why He isn't there. To quote Dr. Henry Killinger: "Compromise, my friend, is the essence of diplomacy, and diplomacy is the cornerstone of love. Sweet Love!"

Astrophel said...

Ohhh yes Jesus cares who you are. I spent years reaching out to Jesus, but I was always intended for Lucifer and it took me a long time to figure that out. I always had this horrible, inexplicable PANIC in churches. I would also see visions of angels with stony faces, looking like they were just waiting for the word to run me through with their swords. Basically they made me feel like I was a worthless piece of shit that wad barely tolerated. I'm not the only Satanist who's had that experience and I wouldn't be surprised if some pagans have too, depending on who they're dedicated to.

He might act friendly to you and some other magicians, I'm not denying that, but it's not as universal as people assume.